In 1751 Thomas Lester master founder of the Whitechapel Bell Foundry in London England was commissioned to cast a bell by the Pennsulvania Provincial Assembly. The bell was to hang in Philadelphias State House later renamed Independence Hall. Soon after its arrival in August 1752 it was cracked by a stroke of the clapper. Local foundrymen Pass and Stow recast the bell using the original metal. Their names appear on the front of the bell along with the city name and date. The bell also bears the biblical inscription "Proclaim Liberty throughout all the land unto all the inhabitants thereof."
The "State House Bell" began service in 1753 trolling to call legislators to Assembly and opening the courts of justice. Perhaps the most noted time was July 8 1776 for the first public reading of the "Declaration of Independence."
Legend states the bell cracked while tolling for the funeral of Chief Justice John Marshall in 1835. In 1839 abolitionists attempting to outlaw slavery publicized the inscription on the bell. The bell forevermore became known as the "Liberty Bell." While being rung for George Washingtons birthday in 1846 the bell cracked beyond repair.
In the late 1800s the Liberty Bell toured the country attempting to help heal the wounds inflicted by the Civil War. In 1915 the bell returned to Philadelphia where it remains today as a symbol of freedom.
Weight: 12 oz
Made in USA by Americana Souvenirs.